Thursday, April 1, 2010

Candied rhubarb

Rhubarb is in season, but not for long, so now is the time to use it. The other day I found a recipe for candied rhubarb. The result was sour, sweet, and fresh. Perhaps the best sour candy ever. I paired it with home made shortbread cookies for a scrumptious dessert.


Candied Rhubarb:
1. trim the rhubarb into 6" long matchsticks
2. melt 1 cup sugar with about 3 tablespoons water
3. steep the rhubarb in the sugar solution for about 30 seconds
4. place the sugared rhubarb strips on a parchment-lined sheet pan, making sure that no pieces are touching
4. dry out the rhubarb in a 200 degree F oven for about an hour.
5. If you like, curl the rhubarb candy around your finger, or the handle of a wooden spoon when you take it out of the oven.

8 comments:

  1. Hi pretty girl...I didn't know you had a blog! And a food blog, no less. I love what I'm seeing so far. Your life seems super cozy in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in SF now and love it so much. Can't wait to keep following the blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh helloooo!!! I must visit you the next time I am in the bay area (love it!). My husband is from Oakland, so it is a common destination for us.
    Going to check out poem, sweet poem when I get off work!
    kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you visit soon. Maybe we can go to the farmer's market or on a beautiful hike. Miss you...xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, we're even more similar than your mom knows if you're as obsessed with rhubarb as i am! i just planted some last month.
    Take Care, Leah (a composting parent in Room 10!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah: My mother has told me about you, and you sound amazing. I am so happy that you are helping her to compost on the Kindergarten yard. This is something she has wanted to do for a long time, but has really needed help to get it started. Wouldn't it be amazing if we all learned how to compost in elementary school? To me it certainly seems like an elementary skill that we should all understand. Thanks so much for your good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your blog! Thanks for the recipe for the rhubarb candy. Rhubarb recipes can be hard to come by! I have a rhubarb bread recipe that is wonderful, and I just finished my last frozen loaf from last year. I posted it here
    http://www.food-soil-thread.com/2009/07/rhubarb-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody must have read the recipe - Melt sugar with more sugar? Is it supposed to be water. Do you heat it? Seep the rhubarb? Must mean steep. An hour does not seem long enough to do much?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha. Oh lordy. It looks like I wrote this in a daze and didn't read it myself! Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, melt the sugar in water, and sTeep the rhubarb.
    An hour was great. It allowed much of the water to evaporate without the rhubarb getting dry and crispy. Of course anyone can let it dry out to their desired moisture level, but an hour was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete